The Lasik MD Laser Eye Surgery Forum

Go Back   The Lasik MD Laser Eye Surgery Forum > Potential Side Effects

Old 05-20-2011, 06:24 AM

Default Epithelial Scratch

Hello everyone. I had LASIK performed two days ago. I had the Custom Blade less procedure and it was a snap! The only problem is that I went in yesterday for my initial post op review and I have a small problem. My doc tells me I have a "good size" epithelial scratch. I don't know how this happened. I have a pair of goggles that I wear at night. I tightened them down so tight on my face, that I had red lines around my face when I woke up. He said he didn't know if it happened during the surgery or if I scratched it myself.

Is this something that will heal on it's own?????????? I'm a little scared right now. He put in numbing drops yesterday and a clear contact on the affected eye. I just don't know what to think. I'm probably overreacting, but I'm kinda freaking out.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks,

Wilson
Old 05-20-2011, 07:56 AM
Administrator

Hi,

We cannot give you specific advice on your eye, because we are not your doctor. However, in general terms, an epithelial defect would likely occur during the procedure, and not from the patient scratching the eye. They are fairly common and usually heal quickly with a bandage contact lens and cause no lasting problems.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:18 AM

Default Update

Today has been 12 days and my vision is getting worse in my eye with the abrasion. I don't feel any pain, just a SLIGHT discomfort.

Here is my question:

My abrasion healed in 1 day with a bandage contact. How long will it take my vision to clear up?

I'm scared to think that the procedure didn't work and I'm actually all healed up.

Please respond with any helpful info.

Thank you.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:31 PM
Administrator

Have you asked your surgeon what is going on or if there is anything besides the epithelial defect that is limiting your vision?

An epithelial defect that is in the line of sight could take several weeks to clear up. But, again, only your surgeon can evaluate and treat you and discuss your situation with all of the knowledge necessary to give you good information.