The Lasik MD Laser Eye Surgery Forum

Go Back   The Lasik MD Laser Eye Surgery Forum > Procedures

Old 07-28-2010, 05:34 AM

Default Choosing between Lasik & Epi-Lasik

I am considering laser eye surgery and am wavering between Lasik & Epi-Lasik. The reason is that I have Blepharitis, which, when it flares up, can cause my eyes to get sore and dry. I am concerned that when I need to clean my lids I would dislodge the flap that would be made if I had all-laser Lasik. I also like the idea of Epi-Lasik because it doesn't cut the cornea, only the epithelium. Has anyone had experience with Epi-Lasik & could they provide me with their outcomes & results?
Old 08-10-2010, 07:15 AM
Administrator

Hi,

Epi-LASIK and all-laser-LASIK produce very similar results for most patients, so there is likely little reason to choose one over the other in terms of clarity of vision, unless your surgeon advises otherwise.

The main difference between the two is in the speed and comfort of recovery, as Epi-LASIK patients take much longer for the vision to fully clear and the first few days are more uncomfortable. In exchange for a longer recovery, Epi-LASIK offers the advantages that you note of no flap cut and no flap trauma concerns in the future. However, you should discuss your lid cleaning/flap concerns with your surgeon.

There are several pages on our website that compare and contrast flap and no-flap procedures. In reality, very few surgeons do a true Epi-LASIK procedure anymore. Most just do PRK.
Old 08-16-2010, 03:25 PM

Default Epi-Lasik

Thank you for your response to my question. I went back & spoke with the doctor & she said that Epi-Lasik is pretty much the same recovery time as PRK, and that if I wanted PRK I was a good candidate for it as well as the All-Laser Lasik because my prescription is in the average range. I have decided on the Lasik due to the quicker recovery time. She also answered all of the questions that I had about laser surgery, including my concerns with the blepharitis.