The Lasik MD Laser Eye Surgery Forum

Go Back   The Lasik MD Laser Eye Surgery Forum > Potential Side Effects

Old 07-07-2009, 05:42 PM

Default Extreme eye sensitivity

I had lasik surgery march 31 2009 and the first two weeks were great then on the third week my eyes became extremely sensitive to light. My doctor told me that it should go away in a few weeks and gave me more steriods to help which they did somewhat but now it is about 4 months later and still no relief. My left eye is worse than my right and it limits my time outside. Has anyone else had this and how long does it last. I don't know how much more I can stand. Sunglasses only help a little but i'm still miserable. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:27 PM
Administrator

Can you provide us with more facts about your surgery?

1. Was your LASIK flap created with a microkeratome (bladed device) or an Intralase laser?
2. What does your doctor say is the cause of your photophobia?
3. Are your eyes real dry?
Old 07-09-2009, 12:11 AM

Default extreme eye sensitivity

I had intralase, and the doctor said the sensitivity was from small gas bubbles under the flap where the laser made the cut and over time it would get better but it has been over three months, but my vision is great. My eyes are still dry and i use refresh drops daily with little or no relief. It is so bad that when I get up in the morning and open my front door to get my mail I can't even hold my eyes open. Some days are better than others and the weird thing about it is that if I lay down to watch tv than my eyes are more sensitive than if I stand up to watch tv. Very nerve racking.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:41 PM
Administrator

We cannot provide specific medical advice to you, but here are some questions / thoughts to discuss with your surgeon:

1. Is my diagnosis Transient Light Sensitivity (TLS)? This is a well known side effect from Intralase that some patients get. If so, you can Google it for more info.
2. Do I need to be on steroids? Steroids are the mainstay of treatment for TLS.
3. Do I need to be managing my dry eye more aggressively? Drops, ointment at night, punctal plugs and the prescription medicine Restasis are possibilities. Avoiding environmental stressors helps - d/c ceiling fans, blowing air, take breaks to blink and lubricate if reading/computing long hours.

Please let us know how you progress.