The Lasik MD Laser Eye Surgery Forum

Go Back   The Lasik MD Laser Eye Surgery Forum > Am I a Candidate?

Old 09-24-2010, 01:55 AM

Default Lasik Possible?

Hello ,
I am a 30 years old guy . I have been wearing heavy glass for long time.But now I want to do lasik if possible. The power of my glass is given below:

Sphere:
Right Eye: + 4.00
Left Eye: +5.00

Cylinder:
Right Eye: +1.00
Left Eye:

Axis:
Right Eye: 180
Left Eye:

Can anybody please tell me is it possible to do lasik on eyes with such required power? Or is there contact lense available for such power?
Pavel
Old 09-28-2010, 08:57 PM
Administrator

Pavel,

With your correction, it will be important for your surgeon to perform a cycloplegic (dilated) examination, as many times the +4.00 and +5.00 numbers can go even higher upon dilation, and the dilated numbers are the "true" amount of correction you need.

In general, your correction is very high for LASIK. It may technically be possible to do it, but often the quality of vision and long-term stability are not as good with this level of treatment, so you really want to quiz your surgeon on realistic expectations. Many surgeons will likely advise you not to do it because of these issues, and they will perhaps recommend replacing the natural lens in each eye as an alternative, either now or later in life, so consider choosing a surgeon that does both LASIK and lens replacement surgery so that you can get a non-biased opinion.