eye pain after LASIK
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic   

anonymous
Error
Error

0 Posts

Posted - 19 March 2002 :  20:38:54  Show Profile  Visit anonymous's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I need help with my intense post-LASIK pain. I had LASIK in early January with a VISX-3 and a Innovatome keratome. I had bad dry eyes (I think) which caused severe pain when I tried contacts - I tried every brand but nothing worked. I told this to the surgeon, but it was not made an issue. No tests of my dryness were done.

When I had the LASIK procedure in January, the keratome caused severe pain (which seemed to surprise the MD and assistants), although the actual laser procedure was pain free. Since then, I have had moderate to disabling pain every day, mostly the latter. By afternoon, I have to keep one eye closed, and this only minimally helps the pain, which is often fully disabling. My MD said to give it time and use drops. It has now been about 3 1/2 months post-LASIK, I use preservative free drops at least a few times per hour, eye gel at night, and I have a humidifier in my office and my bedroom. Nothing has helped. Even the use of Acular has not helped. When my eyes become painful, my vision also diminishes significantly. Please, any suggestions for relief will be so greatly appreciated! Thank you very much!!!

Dr. Q
Average Member

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 19 March 2002 :  20:57:48  Show Profile  Visit Dr. Q's Homepage  Send Dr. Q a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Since I have not examined you, I must start by reminding you that my suggestions are proposed only as topics of discussion for you and your surgeon, not as medical advice.

I would first confirm that your surgeon is certain that dryness is the cause of your pain. It certainly seems as though this is the case from what you write. But, does your surgeon see "punctate staining" or other findings of dryness on your eyes?

If your surgeon is confident that dryness is the problem, here are some of your treatment options, a few of which you have tried:

1. Preservative free artificial tears.
2. Lubricating ointment (stronger than gel) at night.
3. Punctal plugs- tiny plugs that block tears from draining.
4. Steroid eye drops- (use with caution)
5. Cyclosporin eye drops- (an "off-label" use of this medication)
6. Humidifiers
7. Avoid ceiling fans/wind/air blowing
8. Swimming-type goggles to lessen evaporation.

Also, your surgeon should review any systemic medications that you may be on-- some of the antidepressants and antihistamines in particular can worsen dry eyes.

In general, dryness after LASIK does improve with time.

Keep us posted on your progress!

Hopefully, you will feel better soon.

For LASIK in Arizona, visit http://www.halevision.com
Go to Top of Page

anonymous
Error
Error

0 Posts

Posted - 21 March 2002 :  07:31:01  Show Profile  Visit anonymous's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you for your reply. I have tried many of the suggestions, but they unfortunately haven't helped. I will definitely discuss the other suggestions with my MD. Again, thanks for your help.
Go to Top of Page
   Topic   
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Lasik.MD and LaserEyeSurgery.MD Forum © Eyevolume Inc. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000