Starbursting
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic   

anonymous
Error
Error

0 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2002 :  22:26:36  Show Profile  Visit anonymous's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello to anyone out there! 8)

I am currently 6 weeks post-LASIK. My eyes have recovered from almost all the early healing, but I am now experiencing starbursting around car headlights at night. I have starbursts around small lights in dark rooms also. I did not have this occur for the first few weeks and then it started. I did have this problem with my soft lens also, although it bothers me more now. I cannot remember my exact pupil measurements pre-op...I believe it was 6.9 and 6.0. When I told my surgeon that I was now having this problem, he seemed surprised that I did not have this happen at first, but am now experiencing it. Will this likely go away?

I do have very large eyes and I think I remember being told some time ago that the surface was flatter than average. I am concerned because I read that this flatness might pre-dispose me to this starburting and that it might not go away.

Thank-you for all replies!

Dr. Q
Average Member

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2002 :  10:59:17  Show Profile  Visit Dr. Q's Homepage  Send Dr. Q a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Christine,

Without examining you, and having access to all of your preoperative measurements, it is somewhat difficult to help you find out why you are experiencing night vision problems. However, here are a few thoughts for you to discuss with your surgeon.

1. One possibility for your starbursting problem is that you may still have a small underlying need for eyeglasses. In other words, perhaps you have a bit of nearsightedness or astigmatism left over. This is something your surgeon can tell you. This is probably the most likely possibility.

2. Another less likely possibility is that you have developed an irregular contour to the surface of the cornea. Your surgeon can test you for this with corneal topography.

3. It would be difficult to blame these problems on your pupil size, since right after surgery you did not have problems, but I still believe it would be interesting to learn what your exact pupil size is, so if you can find this out and post it in the future, that may be helpful. It would also be interesting to learn what your original glasses prescription was and what your current uncorrected visual acuity is.

4. With respect to your concerns about the flatness level of your eyes preoperatively, flatness is measured by what is known as a "K-reading". Therefore, this is something else you may wish to ask your surgeon about.

Please keep us up-to-date on your progress. Also, please remember that these suggestions are merely topics for discussion with your surgeon. Once again, since I have not examined you, I cannot come to any specific conclusions or offer you any specific advice about your situation.

I hope this helps.

Dr. Q

For LASIK in Arizona, visit http://www.halevision.com
Go to Top of Page

christine
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2002 :  18:48:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Dr Q,

Thank-you for taking the time to reply to my concerns. I will print-out what you have posted and use it when I go back to my surgeon. I don't know enough of the particulars that you need. I was very nearsighted aprrox -6 with almost 2 astig. in contacts and I am 20/25 now. This is my best achievable vision and better that I could see with contacts (I never had toric lenses). The surgeon said that glasses would not help me with the problem. I might go to my O.D. instead with my questions as he is very thorough and un-hurried. I appreciate your insight.

christine
Go to Top of Page
   Topic   
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Lasik.MD and LaserEyeSurgery.MD Forum © Eyevolume Inc. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000