worried about flaps being dislodged
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

anonymous
Error
Error

0 Posts

Posted - 06 February 2003 :  00:56:38  Show Profile  Visit anonymous's Homepage  Reply with Quote
hello,

i have had custom lasik 6 weeks ago and i am reasonably happy with the results. my concern is that i do a lot of boxing and other contact sports. i know that patients are allowed to resume contact sports 1 month after. however, i am still a bit apprehensive about my flaps being disloged because in boxing there is a good chance of direct trauma to my eyes. i also know of a case of another person having his flap dislodged 8 months out, although his case was from severe trauma from a boating accident.

thanks for your help

Dr. Q
Average Member

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 03 April 2003 :  08:06:29  Show Profile  Visit Dr. Q's Homepage  Send Dr. Q a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I, too, share your concern that boxing may dislodge the flap. Unfortunately, I cannot tell you a specific time, if ever, that it would be safe to resume boxing, though it is true that as time passes, the flap seals down more tightly and is likely less vulnerable to trauma. However, boxing is just the type of activity that may be able to dislodge a flap.

I am hopeful that you discussed this with your surgeon before surgery and made a conscientious decision to have LASIK anyways. I usually perform LASEK, a similar procedure, but without a flap, when extreme trauma is a concern.

For LASIK in Arizona, visit http://www.halevision.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Lasik.MD and LaserEyeSurgery.MD Forum © Eyevolume Inc. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000