irritation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

LasikPatient01
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 29 July 2006 :  21:02:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had IntraLasik and corrected with Custom Vue over a week ago. I have 20/20 for each eye and close to 20/15 when I use both eyes. However, when I had the surgery, I felt a very quick pain on top right corner of my cornea in the right eye when the flap was created. The day after the surgery, I could not open my right eye because of the sharp pain. 2 days after the surgery, the sharp pain was reduced significantly but it became irritated. It feels like a foreign object under the top right edge of the flap although I use teardrop for both eyes consistently. Nevertheless, this scenario does not occur to my left eye. My left eye remains perfectly fine and extremely comfortable; it almost feels like my left eye never had the surgery.

I went back to the clinic for diagnosis. The doctor who did the examination was not the Lasik surgeon. He told me there was debris in my right eye and needs to be cleaned out. I went back for cleaning service on the 5th days after the surgery but he said the debris was gone. He indicated that the Pred Forte steroid eye drop might have dissolved the debris. On the 8th day after the surgery, my right eye still feels irritation from the top right edge of my flap. Is it true that I should not feel the debris under my flap? What does Pred Forte do to the eye?

Thanks!

Edited by - LasikPatient01 on 29 July 2006 21:09:51

Dr. Q
Average Member

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 30 July 2006 :  10:46:53  Show Profile  Visit Dr. Q's Homepage  Send Dr. Q a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Please ask the doctors taking care of you if you had a corneal abrasion. The type of pain you describe along with the foreign body sensation you felt the first few days are typical of a corneal abrasion. An abrasion is a disturbance of the surface epithelial layer - similar to a scrape on the skin - that typically heals within a few days.

It would be very uncommon to actually feel debris under the flap. Rather than debris, it sounds like you had significant inflammation under your flap. That is the typical reason for Pred Forte drops. Often, the drops will control the inflammation, but if they don't the flap must be lifted and the inflammation washed out. Again - things to ask your doctors. Once the inflammation goes away, it typically doesn't come back.

I would ask your doctor why you still feel the irritation. Typically, mild irritation is not serious and something that goes away with time - BUT I haven't examined you and can't say this for sure in your case - just a generality.

For LASIK in Arizona, visit http://www.hqvision.com
Go to Top of Page

LasikPatient01
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 30 July 2006 :  11:04:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Dr. Q.
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: